Untapped potential of beverage label market remains large
Other highlights of the report include:
• Self-adhesive labels accounted for 33% of global label laminate production in 2008,
• Self-adhesive was the dominant label technology in the European product decoration market, with 45% (5,300 million sqm) of all label materials consumed in 2008; this compared to glue applied (41%), shrink sleeving (7%) and in-mold (3%),
• Beverage market ranked third (after Food and Retail) with 10% of all self-adhesive being used for beverage labeling,
• Short term forecast remains flat due mainly to the existing installed base of glue applied labelling lines which provides barrier, and
• Modest growth is forecast for mid- to long-term, as new investments are made in modular rotary applicators which will include self-adhesive modules.