DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers recently announced winners in the 23rd DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation, representing breakthrough developments from brand giants such as Gillette, Coca-Cola, Intel, GlaxoSmithKlein and Heinz.
“The nominees and winners this year show how sustainability considerations are driving innovation,” says Shanna Moore, global director, sustainability – DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers. “We see how sustainability takes many shapes – ranging from use of organic or renewably sourced materials to the relentless drive to reduce waste and weight.”
John Bernardo, principal, Sustainable Innovations LLC, head of the jury panel says, “Nearly all of the winning innovations related to reducing waste in the system. The jury could see a much deeper consideration of sustainability concerns, starting with responsible sourcing, thoughtful package design, all the way to end of life factors.”
Winners were announced through a global webcast where members of the independent jury panel provided their perspectives on the winning achievements and where the winners discussed the challenges they overcame in bringing their new developments to market.
This year’s expert jury panel evaluated more than 200 entries from around the world and awarded two diamond winners, six gold winners and eight silver winners.
for the full listing of winners click here
History and Goals
• The DuPont Awards for Packaging Innovation is the packaging industry’s longest running, independently judged, global awards program honoring packaging materials, processes, technology and service innovations.
• The first awards program was in 1986. The competition has recognized environmental achievements since 1989.
• This year’s competition honors materials, processing, technology and service achievements that demonstrate excellence in packaging innovation, sustainability and cost/waste reduction.
• Entrants do not need to use DuPont materials in their products, processes or programs.
• There is no entry fee.
• The DuPont Packaging Awards has a special focus on recognizing innovations that demonstrate breakthrough achievements in:
• Use of new materials or processing technologies
• Creativity in use of materials
• Contribution to purchase appeal
• Consumer valued design enhancement features
• Qualitative “wow” factor
• Responsible sourcing
• Resource and energy optimization
• Clean production
• Effective recovery
• Community benefit, communication & education
• Reduction in package weight
• Fewer defects/less waste
• Less waste after consumer use
• Enhanced product protection or extended shelf life
• Increased efficiency during production and/or transportation
23rd DuPont Awards Judging & Jurors
The entries were reviewed and judged in Wilmington, DE in March 2011, by a prestigious panel of international jurors. John Bernardo, principal, Sustainable Innovations LLC, USA, was the jury leader. Other jurors were:
• Alvaro Azanha, Packaging Technology Director, Sadia, Brazil
• Dr. Martin Berlekamp, Director PET Technology, Klöckner Pentaplast GmbH & Co. KG, Germany
• Jane Bickerstaffe, Director, INCPEN, UK
• Ronald De Vlam, Partner, Web de Vlam, USA
• Geoff Giddens, Food Packaging Associate Director, Pepsico China,
• Mike Heldman, Marketing Manager – Products and Innovation, International Paper, Coated Paperboard Business, USA
• Amanda Holder, Sustainable Packaging & Resin Supervisor, Berry Plastics, USA
• Louis Lindenberg, Packaging Capability Director, Global Design & Sustainability, Unilever, United Kingdom
• Amit Ray, President & CEO, Flexible Packaging Division, Uflex Limited, India
DuPont Packaging & Industrial Polymers
the full listing of winners click here
DuPont Announces 23rd DuPont Award Winners for Packaging Innovation
June 15, 2011