Sonoco, one of the largest diversified global packaging companies, has released its 2013-14 Corporate Responsibility Report, outlining the company's continued progress towards achieving its global sustainability targets.
- The company reduced normalized landfill by 3.16 percent and have 26 plants diverting 95 percent or more from landfills. Ten of those plants are sending less than 1 percent to landfills.
- Sonoco Recycling recovered the equivalent by weight of more than half 63 percent of the products Sonoco places into the marketplace.
- The company's supplier diversity spend increased to 8.8 percent of total vendor spend in 2013.
- The Sonoco Foundation contributed nearly $2.6 million to 65 nonprofit organizations supporting education, health and welfare, environment,
- cultural and civic organizations.
- Sonoco donated $45,000 to assist local home fire victims through the American Red Cross.
- The company provided a 45.2 percent total return, nearly 30 percent better than the return on the S&P 500.
- Sonoco was listed in the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index for fifth consecutive year.
- Sonoco was named one of America's 100 Most Trustworthy Companies 2014 by Forbes magazine.