In the last five years, the compound annual growth rate in global consumption of bi-oriented polypropylene films has averaged 6.2 percent, almost twice average global GDP growth.
Bucking global recessions and economic downturns is not a new phenomenon for the BOPP film industry but this trend seems set to continue, according to PCI Films Consulting’s latest review of global BOPP film market trends.
- Higher sales of packaged food, stimulated by the growth in multiple food retailing and higher personal disposable incomes.
- Growth in convenience foods packaged in BOPP films such as fruit and vegetables, salads, snacks and confectionery.
- The substitution of other flexible packaging materials such as BOPET, BOPA and other speciality films, speciality coated and label papers and aluminium foils.
- Investment in new converting and packaging equipment allowing BOPP film to be used in a larger number of applications.
- Environmental legislation which has pushed rigid packaging formats towards flexible packaging.
PCI Films Consulting Ltd.