Dow Packaging and Specialty Plastics and Nordmeccanica have announced the launch of a revolutionary lamination technology, using both adhesive and machinery hardware advancements. SYMBIEX Solventless Adhesives, Dow’s new ultra-fast curing adhesive technology, combined with the innovative Duplex SL One Shot lamination line from Nordmeccanica, redefines packaging lamination, offering converters best-in-class conversion efficiency improvements, shorter time-to-market and total conversion cost reductions.
Other benefits include:
- Conversion efficiency improvements: no mixer and no pot life concerns .
- Lower cost-in-use: reduced line downtime and curing inventory.
- Ability to form a package in less than one day from lamination, and achieve food compliance within one day for most film structures.
- Very high web speeds and may offer increased speeds on metallized and foil laminations versus conventional solventless.
- No misting and better wettability.
- Eliminates adhesive scrap.
- Reduced line downtime for cleaning, reduced curing inventory.
- Bond-quality checking possible 30 minutes after lamination.
Compared to a conventional lamination line, the Duplex SL One Shot laminator features a unique system to handle the solventless lamination process, enabling the two adhesive components to come into contact as late as possible in the lamination process.
With two independent high-precision coating stations, the two films are pressed together only in the lamination nip station where the curing of the adhesive takes place. This process eliminates the need of a mixing unit and any pot life concerns, and offers reduced line downtime and easy cleaning.